A urine test or urinalysis is a test of your urine. This test is used to detect and manage a variety of disorders of the urinary tract such as infections, kidney disease and diabetes.
The test involves checking the appearance, concentration, and content of urine. In a urinary tract infection, for example, urine may appear cloudy as opposed to clear. Elevated levels of protein in the urine may be indicative of kidney disease.
Any unusual results obtained from a urinalysis often require further testing to identify the underlying problem. At Remedies we offer urine testing in all our pharmacies. The test is performed by one of our pharmacists and is completely confidential. There is no need to book an appointment for this service and it only takes a few minutes.
How it works:
- Collect your urine sample in a sterile urine container
- Visit your nearest Remedies Pharmacy
- Consultation with the pharmacist
- The pharmacist tests the sample by dipping a test strip into the urine container
- Results are available within 60 seconds
- The pharmacist will analyse the test strip to identify any parameters which are out of range.
- The pharmacist will interpret the results and give advice accordingly
How to Prepare:
- Drink plenty of water (1-2 glasses extra) before the test so you can give an adequate urine sample. Avoid excess however since it may cause inaccurate results.
- You can eat and drink before the test.
- Use the first urine in the morning (first-void urine) for the sample
- Do not eat foods that can change the colour of your urine such as beetroot, blackberries and rhubarb
- Avoid heavy exercise before the test
- Inform the pharmacist of any medications or vitamins you are taking as some medications and supplements can affect the result