MANAGE YOUR HEART HEALTH
Many people have never had their cholesterol checked and consequently are not aware whether they are at risk of heart disease. Heart (cardiovascular) disease can often be prevented by taking simple steps; however, a lot of people fail to realise this. If you already know you are at risk of heart disease, then you understand the importance of maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
At Remedies, we offer a Cholesterol Check-up service. This service can help identify the extent of your risk of developing heart disease and potentially how to prevent it. Our Cholesterol check-up also aids you to ensure you are following the right steps to protect your heart and offer support with recommending any potential lifestyle changes that can be made.
The test is recommended to those who want to monitor their cholesterol levels whether they are taking medication or are making lifestyle changes and wish to track improvements. This service is also for anyone considered at increased risk of developing heart disease. The Cholesterol check-up will also help motivate you to continue to manage your heart health.Why should I have my cholesterol checked?
Cholesterol is a fatty substance and is essential for the normal functioning of the body. High cholesterol itself doesn’t usually cause any symptoms, but it increases your risk of developing serious health conditions such as heart disease and stroke. If you are concerned about your heart and, in particular, your cholesterol levels, visit us for our cholesterol check service.
Who is considered Risk of heart disease. For example:
- Those being treated with lipid lowering medicines or have diabetes
- Those that identified raised cholesterol
- Those that have previously had a Cholesterol and Heart Check that identified raised cholesterol
- Those taking supplements to lower their cholesterol and who want to track improvement
However, if you fall into one of the following categories, we strongly recommend that you visit us for a check-up:
- You are over 40 years old
- You are of South Asian or African Caribbean origin
- You have any immediate family members under the age of 55 if male (e.g. brother/father) or 65 if female (e.g. sister/mother) who have/had heart disease
- You have high blood pressure
- You are a smoker
- You are overweight
- You have a family history of high cholesterol levels
- You lead an inactive lifestyle
How it works
Step 1: Consultation – The service will be delivered in the consultation room during which you will also be asked questions about your lifestyle, including:
- Whether you smoke
- Your alcohol consumption
- Your activity levels
Step 2: Results – The results of your check-up will be available immediately, and you will receive a personalised action plan highlighting the simple steps you can take to keep your heart and cholesterol levels healthy, such as:
- Stopping smoking
- Reducing alcohol intake
- Reducing saturated fat intake
- Increasing activity levels
- Increasing the amount of fruit and vegetables you eat
- Reaching a healthy weight (this can include gaining and losing weight)
- Having a medicines check-up if you are taking any new medication for any other condition
Step 3: Follow-up – You may then be asked to attend a follow-up appointment to assess your progress against your action plan. If appropriate, you may be referred to your GP.