Diabetes is a common chronic condition in Malta.
Knowing your blood sugar levels helps you manage your diabetes and reduces your risk of having serious complications.
At Remedies we offer blood glucose testing using a finger-prick test which measures the blood sugar level at that moment in time. This service can be used to monitor blood glucose levels in diabetic individuals or as a screening service to test whether you are at risk of developing type 2 diabetes. It’s completely confidential and just takes a few minutes. The service will be carried out in a private consulting room by one of our pharmacists.
What is Type 2 diabetes?
Type 2 diabetes is a condition characterised by what is known as insulin resistance.
This is where the body does not effectively respond to the insulin produced, as a result blood sugar levels become too high. It can be managed by taking tablets such as Metformin and maintaining a healthy lifestyle.
Signs & Symptoms
- Blurred vision
- Drowsiness and increased tiredness
- Fruity-smelling breath
- Increased thirst
- Itchiness around the genital area or regularly contracting thrush (a type of yeast infection)
- Loss of weight and muscle bulk (more common in type 1)
- Needing to urinate more, especially during the night
- Slow healing wounds
What increases my risk of developing type 2 diabetes?
- Your age
- Your height, weight and waist measurement
- Your level of daily activity
- Your diet, in particular how many fruit and vegetables you eat
- If you use high blood pressure medication
- If you have ever had a high blood glucose reading
- If any family member has diabetes
How it works:
Step 1: Visit your nearest Remedies Pharmacy
Step 2: Consultation – In a private consulting room, the pharmacist will ask some questions to understand your risk of developing type 2 diabetes
Step 3: We take a random blood glucose level by taking a very small finger prick sample of blood.
Step 4: The pharmacist will interpret the results and provide advice accordingly